- The facility owner/operator should provide the police with detailed information regarding the incident, hazardous material (including hydrogen) inventories and locations, facility safety equipment and instrumentation, and any actions taken so far.
- Police who respond to a spill, fire, or vehicle collision should be familiar with the hazard information cards recommended by DOT or other safety documents.
- They should also know the recommended exclusion areas to protect the public if a spill or fire occurs.
- An additional factor for increased safety is evacuation distances as recommended by the senior fire officer. Police can then assist in implementing the proper actions to protect the public.
- A key acronym for hazardous materials awareness is SIN:
- Safe approach
- Identify the hazardous material
- Notify the proper authorities
Lesson Learned Reference