Photo courtesy of HAMMER
First responders arriving at a hydrogen incident should take the following actions:
- Keep unauthorized personnel away.
- Stay upwind.
- Listen for venting gas.
- Watch for thermal waves that would signal hydrogen flames.
- Eliminate ignition sources.
- Do not touch or walk through product.
- Allow hydrogen-fed fire to burn if safe to do so. Protect adjacent surfaces equipment. Do not spray water into the pressure vent.
Incident command and control areas should be established by the initial responders.